This blog post got me thinking about the things that have been the top for me in 2012? What things were the most important? What have been the 'big things' for the year?
With a particular, but not exclusive, focus on the professional here goes…
Top three things I have written about:
- Evidence and Exemplars – here. The ongoing challenge of showing progress and doing it efficiently and effectively.
- Tablets as Forks – here. Choosing the best tools for the job, that if they work well you don't even notice.
- We Know What Works – here. A lot of thinking and challenges for me out of this day!
Top three things I have learned about:
- Website design and development – leading a project digitising a self review tool …. coming soon
- Google Docs and Apps
- The complexity of good app design and development – working with the team at NHNZ and Runaway, their iOS development team. Also how much time, skill and thought (and money!) goes into developing tv programmes.
Top three things I have done:
- Visited Rarotonga (twice really – once over the Xmas break with the family, and once just Jane and I for a friends wedding)
- Ben Harper concert in Wellington – he is astounding! Nearly 4 hours on stage with 13 different guitars. Been to a few concerts and this was certainly one of the very best for me!
- Changed career direction (a bit). NHNZ was (and is) a blast, and CORE is a great place to work!
Top three things I see as growing trends:
- Obsession with accountability in education. If it goes wrong there has to be someone to blame it would seem. If it can't be counted it is not there (or at least not that important).
- BYOD in NZ schools – a tide that can't be stopped now. This along with ultra-fast broadband have the potential to transform our system, or to simply be 'more-crap-faster'. We are at a bit of a tipping point I think.
- Personalisation – smaller and more powerful devices in the hands of all in the school community mean that the dictums of the school are increasingly irrelevant (for example). If it is filtered then turn your phone on and tether. The push to personalise learning for all learners – students and teachers. Social media as a way of collaborating and managing a way through the info-smog.
Top three things I have read:
Ask me tomorrow and this list will almost certainly be different!
- Andre Agassi's autobiography – interesting the tension between passion, drive and pleasing others and their expectations.
- Seth Godin's Blog – so many wee gems there.
- Nancy Wake's biography by Peter Fitzsimons – a remarkable woman!
Top three things I have laughed at/about:
- Duck Dynasty at a viewing at NHNZ – think a cross between West Coast choppers, Dukes of Hazzard and ZZ Top. Astoundingly funny, particularly given it is quite heavily scripted 'reality' tv. Heaps of YouTube clips.
- Much to my families disgust – Big Bang Theory.
- The crazily fun things you do with kids ….
Top three things I wish for in 2013:
- Time with family and friends …. the old work-life thing
- Jane to have a great trip to Europe on her scholarship, and to get the writing on her PhD done she is planning
- For education to sort the things with 'N's' – Novapay, National Standards, Network Reviews ….fingers crossed with the N4L too.
So …. bring on the new year. It's going to be a blast!!