1. robyn.white@core-ed.ac.nz' Robyn White says:

This is a thoroughly enjoyable read Teanau, and very informative – I know I'll find this useful to refer back to in the future. It deserves a wide audience!

2. apaira9@gmail.com' Apaira Tuaeu-Strong says:

This was a facinating read Teanau.  It is amazing how something as small as pronouncing a student's name correctly can make a difference to them.  I too, would cringe each new term waiting for my name to be called out.  My brother was 11 when his name all of a sudden became Terry because it was easier to say than Tereora.  Unfortunately Terry became the accepted norm for his name and it has remained his name to this day. ( Not with his family though).  You are right to put the challenge out there, if not for ourselves then for our children and Grandchildren we need to start now, as it is our generation that will need to step up….I know we can!

mou i te ko, mou i te ‘ere — take up the challenge

meitaki ma’ata, kia orana e kia manuia.

3. jkorent@gmail.com' Johanna says:

I am a first generaltion cook islander and totally agree with the idea of a National languages policy because I agree with Maori belief, that it is through language that culture lives.  All languages and cultures should be respected, protected and practiced and through this the diversity and richness within society can be celebrated and all peoples included. I have young adult sons and this is an article I will share with them Teanau.  Thank you.

4. Malo lava Teanau,

I loved reading your blog post :-)

Thanks also for sharing the paper I co-wrote with Natalie Faitala "Mind your language" as part of PPTA's Komiti Pasifika.  It was a real opportunity at the time to push the importance of maintaining the heritage languages of those Pacific countries that fall within the realm of Aotearoa – Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau and Tuvalu.  Samoa and Tonga of course with their historical associations with Aotearoa as well.

Keep up the fantastic work :-)

Manuia le aso,

Manu

5. Mangere Central School is hosting the APPA Cook Islands Speech Competition this Thursday afternoon. All welcome to come along and support our students in maintaining their language.

6. whare.wano@core-ed.ac.nz' Whare says:

Kia ora rawa atu e te tuakana a great story to remind us who we are and those things that are important whānau/community and of course language. We have been so focused on revival of te reo which is still at a precarious place that we forget about other languages of our pasifika whānau particularly for those who are 2nd & 3rd generation. While you have tūrangawaewae to return to where the language lives we have responsibility within Aotearoa to support all language and our schools need to be resourced to support our communities.

7. helen.cooper@core-ed.org' Helen says:

Malo Lava Teanau,

Your messages are clear, proud, and thought provoking. It's a wonderful post and even though I'm several months late getting to read it- it's meaning is still every bit as powerful!

8. amyrakl@gmail.com' Trina Tohovaka says:

Hi all,

Just wanted to know the meaning of te aroa or tearoa? Or any relative stories of that meaning, thank you :)