School holidays are upon us. Time to relax and recharge. It is also time to take up professional learning and development (PLD) opportunities.
uLearn is CORE Education’s annual professional learning conference, suitable for teachers, facilitators and school leaders alike, from early childhood through to tertiary.
Across three days of continual PLD (or four days if you also attend the pre-conference), you will get the opportunity to connect and collaborate with like-minded New Zealand and international educators as you develop practical solutions to innovate in your teaching practice.
But wait, there’s more! You can take part in uLearn even if you are not coming to the conference!
The #notatulearn hashtag offers you the chance to follow along and experience uLearn virtually this year. There are two live streamed sessions available to you in our Connected Conversation series:
Connected Conversation 1: Student learners at the centre
Live-streamed on Wednesday 11 October 2017, 11:15 am – 12:30 pm
Juliet Revell @Juliet_Revell — Connecting with Kids #KidsedchatNZ
Bronwyn Joyce @JoyceBronwyn (virtual) — Learning beyond the walls
Connected Conversation 2: Connected conversations going global
Live-streamed Wednesday 11 October 2017, 1:30 pm – 2:45 pm
Grant Lichtman @GrantLichtman (virtual) Moving the Rock: Seven levers we can press to dramatically transform education now
Christine Trimnell @TrimChris1 – Global Projects — 21st Century learning in a Digital World
Dean Shareski @shareski (virtual) — How to be Generous in a Connected World
(Maybe this will tempt you to join us in Auckland for uLearn18.)
So, whether you are joining us face-to-face or taking part in #notatulearn … Here are some quick steps to get the most out of uLearn17.
- Get organised! Join Twitter and follow the hashtag #ulearn17 and #CENZ17
- Join edspace uLearn group, introduce yourself and tell us what you’d like to get out of uLearn17.
Connected Educator (CENZ) Team
- Come and see us at the Connected Educator Stand for Flipgrid challenges, connecting, photobooth and more — including the release of our revitalised Starter Kete. In the Connected Educator Room, we’re running practical, hands-on sessions to support you in getting connected Breakouts 1–5
- Find out about the keynotes: Eric Mazur,@eric_mazur Dr Ann Milne,@ann_milne Brad Waid, @Techbradwaid and Abdul Chohan, @Abdulchohan. What do you know about them already? What do you wonder? Have you followed them on Twitter?
- Check out the spotlight sessions, aligned to the conference strands.
- Think now about how you are going to capture your new learning. Are you going to blog it, tweet it, capture it on Evernote, set up a group/school google doc for collective gathering of insights? Take notes using shared Google Docs where possible and share in uLearn discussions.
- Bookmark links in uLearn discussion groups.
- Pack comfortable shoes, and clothes. You are going to chalk up some steps at uLearn. Have you got your personal fitness wearable charged and ready to go? Have you got a suitable backpack to carry all you need for the day? And, don’t forget to label your belongings — just like camp!
- Sign up for Night at the Movies ‘the heART of the matter’ and an interview with the producer on Wednesday night.
- Organise your Op Shop Ballroom costume for the gala dinner.
- Find your tribe. Take the time to meet new people. The friendly tribe you’ll meet at uLearn17 can be your support network going forward. Follow them on Twitter, find and follow their blogs, share and connect beyond the face-to-face event.
- Be charged! Pack the ‘right’, fully charged, device for you. Can you capture all you need on your iPad, tablet, or phone? Do you need to bring your laptop or chromebook? Make sure you have all your charging cords with you, but travel as light as possible!
- On your own? It’s okay to hang out at the Connected Educator Station, ask questions, and, hopefully, meet up with others. Also, when in workshops, join someone else who looks like they are on their own and introduce yourself. If you are alone, choose workshops that are interactive, because then you get to talk to people.
- Keep an eye on Strea.ma
- Don’t forget to allow time to visit the Trades Hall and talk to the vendors. Don’t forget the various competitions and prizes being offered there. You need to stay to the end for the draws. Use ShowGizmo, scan QR code posters on exhibitor stands to go in the draw to win.
- Visit the CORE Education stand (inside the exhibition hall). Meet the team, explore our 2018 professional learning solutions, and purchase resources.
- Spin the digital prize wheel and be an instant winner! Prizes include a complimentary uLearn18 registration plus flights (within NZ) and accommodation.
- Join in the Conference Showcase Rātu / Tuesday 5.00pm
- Take some time to enjoy the culture and arts around Hamilton in your evenings or early mornings. There are lots of places to walk and explore.
- At uLearn17 and uLearn Changing Spaces (the pre-conference day at Rototuna Junior High School focussing on ILEs), you will have the opportunity to collect He Tohu Oranga (CORE’s digital badges). Digital Badges are an evidence-based certification of learning to provide a record of your achievements.
- Continue the discussions via social media, on Twitter #ulearn17, #CENZ17, Facebook, edSpace
- Share your learning:
- Plan a date in your calendar to follow up with team or staff meetings
- Plan for ‘uShare’ experience where two or more schools get together for
face-to-face staff session to discuss their action plans
Now that you’ve read this, come along to the Connected Educator station at uLearn, and share the ‘secret message’, which is, “Learning is sweeter when you are connected’’, and receive the first free offer. Then find out how to work towards the set…