1. We discussed the issue yesterday as we first deployed sixteen new iPads at a school.

I think you have to think differently about them all together. Teachers wanted to know how to save their work to their own folder, how to load Flash so their Blogger videos would play, how to install Kid Pix on it, how to set up different users, where to save their work so no one could see it, where to put there fingers so they could touch type, where is the right click…

Even wanted to know what is the word for hitting the screen with your finger. I said ‘tap’. I hope that’s right.

I agree the iPad is best as a single user device but we can make it work in a shared classroom.

2. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hey Allanah,

Teachers are the masters of making things work, and I agree with you — plenty of people will make good use of iOS devices.

It must have been exciting to be part of a large group of people exploring an iPad for the first time and swapping thoughts and comments. Interesting to hear the sorts of things they looked for, a good example of viewing a new device through the lens of our previous experience. It would be interesting to run another iPad session with the same group of teachers in a month time and see what the conversation had evolved into by then.

Do you happen to know how they are tackling App deployment?

3. First of all we looked at a way of identifying each of the iPads so that if a child started working with one and needed to put it away again how might they remember which one they were working on.

The school is in the process of deploying Google Apps so children can’t write in the cloud just yet!

We discussed your blog message above and decided that we will just buy the apps on one computer and synch all of the iPads with that one computer seeing that seemed the most sensible thing to do and is really totally impractical to download an app onto sixteen computers!

We discussed then that seeing all of the school computers/iPads are leased then we need a way of making sure that any apps bought can be transferred to another computer at the end of the lease without having to re-purchase. We believe that you would deauthorise the iTunes account, clone the machine and then re-authorise!! We hope we’re right.

There was some discussion around whether to keep the entire pod of sixteen iPads together or separate them into two pods. The second option was preferred but we can monitor and see how how that works.

Once we had a set of apps downloaded and a couple of School Journal CDs we synched each of the iPads and sat about for an hour as a staff exploring and helping each learn a new way of looking at mobile computing.

All great fun.

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hey Allanah,

Yes you can definitely keep your Apps for new iPads when you sell your old ones.

There is a 5 computer limit to how many computers can be authorised to a single iTunes account, but there is no limit to how many iPods/iPads that you can then activate/sync from that computer.

When you go to sell your iPads at the end of their time with you (or return them to the lease company) then you should sync it one last time to make sure that your information is transferred back onto the computer, then reset the iPad back to the factory default settings.

The next person to use that iPad will need to first activate it by connecting it to a computer running iTunes. And of course when you activate your new iPads you will be able to then sync any Apps and other files onto them.

1. Thank you for your response. So does that mean that you can have five devices at anyone time authorised to play your bought content or does that mean that you can authorise five devices one after another.

For example I authorized my TELA laptop to play purchased iTunes songs and it never got deauthorized and I have now lost track of where it is. Would that forever be counted as one device?

Since then I have had two computer upgrades so I have now used up three lives and now only have one laptop authorised to play purchased music.

So does that mean that I can only upgrade two more times before I go above my limit?

What happens when you get to the sixth authorisation. Do you have to buy the songs again to be able to play them??

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hey Allanah,

It means that at any one time you can have 5 computers authorised to play content from your itunes account.

Authorisation is controlled from within your iTunes applications, and you will find the Authorise and Deauthorise options under the Store menu. You can authorise and deauthorise as many computers as you wish as long as there are never more than 5 authorised at once.

To deauthorise your long lost TELA laptop you will need to go to the iTunes Store and in the accounts settings you will find a Deauthorise All button. To the left of that button it actually tells you how many computers are currently authorised to your account. You can only use the Deauthorise All button once in any 12 month period I believe, but it will deathorise computers that you now longer have access to. You will then need to authorise your current computers again.

If you want a sixth machine concurrently authorised then you are out of luck.

2. allanah.king@gmail.com' AllanahK says:

Another fishhook for schools may be the in app purchases. For example Puppet Pals is a really fun storytelling app with free characters and settings. You can buy extra characters if you want but you do so from within the app not within iTunes.

I wonder does that then synch across all iPads on the next synch or does it need to be bought individually on each?

I just tried buying from within the app and it doesn’t look like the extra information gets transferred back to your computer.

I will need to give it a go in a school with more than one iPad.

Do you know more on this issue?

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hey Allanah,

I have no direct experience with the puppet pals scenario you have described as I have been to cheap to buy the extra characters. I would expect that the characters would be available in multiple devices however even if you had to “buy” them again at which stage I would hope it would tell you that you had already purchased it and let you download it for free. Bear in mind of course that in the school situation you probably should be buying those characters for each device. I would be keen to hear what happens when you get back to the school and try it though.

If you are interested Apple has a knowledge-base article that describes the three different types on in-app purchases that are available. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4009

Cheers

2. Today I purchased extra scenarios in Puppet Pals from within the app and they never synched back to the master computer and therefore never transfered to the others to be synched. The data stayed on the iPad. This would then mean that you have to purchase extra scenes separately on each iPad.

4. Good post:-) Your central point, Warren, I think is on the money. It is clear that the Apple ‘walled garden’ is focused entirely on the individual user experience. So, for the classroom that wants to go down the iPad/iTouch route, for example, we are really looking at personalised learning (that holy grail of education;-)!)

My feeling is that the increasing accessibility of mobile devices supports this idea of each student being able to access information, create and collaborate, on their own terms. This does not, of course, preclude students working together, even side by side, but it does suggest that a differentiated approach to learning would underpin the single-user experiences to which you refer.

And that, of course, means that the teacher does not only need to have navigated the exciting challenge of multiple devices in the classroom, but is able to bring the curriculum, the pedagogy and the tech together in ways that support learners’ needs.

And let’s not even get into the IT infrastructure needed to support all this;-)

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your comment. You have touched strongly on the next post I hinted at around why these will work best as single user devices. I totally agree with you about the fact that teachers will need to think different(ly) about planning units and lessons for a classroom full of mobile device equipped students. Though I guess that is the same for any technology that we put into our schools.

I have two boys, aged 4 years and 21 months, and I wonder at what stage in their education all of this will fall into place. I would send them to school with an iPad in a heartbeat if I thought that the school was ready.

5. As you say Warren, schools are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Until Apple roll out the volume licensing programme internationally, I think most schools would think that they dont have a choice but to bend the rules. Having multiple iTunes accounts is a bit of an unthinkable solution. Is there any school with more than a few iPads / iPods who are doing this?

Fraser Speirs has a great blog post about how they are dealing with their 1-1 iPad syncing. It’s worth a read.

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hi Matt,

yes there is at least one school I know of that tell me they have created 20 different accounts to run their iOS devices from. I will try and get them to post a response to your comment directly

Just to be clear the volume licensing programme is not necessarily for school owned devices, I imagine that in many places it is used for schools to buy apps that will be loaded onto student owned devices. I would imagine that is at least in part why the volume purchase process generates code numbers that are then used on each device to download the actual application (at least that is how I understand it to work)

6. Interesting discussion taking place here. So time to advise anyone interested of the following ………

By the end of March/early April YOOBEE Training will have available the following one day course.

Deploying and Managing iOS Devices

Course will focus on the options available for deploying and managing devices like the iPad, iPod Touch and/or iPhone in both an educational environment and business. Pricing is yet to be determined but it will be affordable and of real value. Keep an eye on http://www.yoobee.com/learning for more info over the next few weeks including a course outline.

Andrew Fox
    Apple Certified Trainer
    YOOBEE Training (aka Renaissance Ltd)

7. pcraig@madison.k12.al.us' Paige Craig says:

We are a middle school in Alabama that just purchased 10 iPads and 40 iTouches. We have multiple computers authorized for the same iTunes account and have loaded the same FREE apps on every iPad. Until our voucher system is set up, our school has decided to only load free apps…so purchasing is not my problem.

Our problem arises when we try to add an app for a specific teacher on an iPad. When we plug the iPad into iTunes it will not allow us to sync. When we go to the summary tab, we have selected “Sync only check songs and videos”. But when we go to the Apps tab, everything is grayed out and will not allow us to check any apps.

Please help??? Any suggestions??

1. warren.hall@core-ed.org' Warren Hall says:

Hi Paige,

I wonder if you have restrictions set on the iPads themselves. To check go into the Settings on the iPad and then Restrictions and see if Installing Apps is turned off. If it is then you wont be able to sync apps to your iPad.

If that isn’t it then let me know and I will have a little play here and see if I can come up with another suggestion

8. dean.rogers@mac.com' Dean Rogers says:

Greetings to Warren and all the other wonderfully innovative educators reading and contributing to this thread. "Please note, this is not an advertisement and does not necessarily reflect the views of Apple Inc or any NZ distributor or reseller."
    I have been interested to read on the interweb and experience first-hand in many schools the incredibly swift evolution of iPad use both in NZ and overseas. Two things to note there: "incredibly swift" and "evolution". We are perhaps 6 months into the real, direct iPad education experience (considering iPad 2 launch, IOS updates and stock availability) and everyone is a pioneer – Apple Inc has stated as much themselves. This authentic mobility concept has caught most people off-balance and as teachers, our instinct is to evaluate and innovate ways in which we can embed the technology in our current education paradigms (an over-used phrase) and processes. The issues of volume-use of Apps (did anyone know the word "Apps" a couple of years ago?), syncing multiple devices, security, wireless bandwidth . . . all point to a "make the device fit" attitude. The fact is – it doesn't. I completely agree that this device is a personal use device (lend a demo to a teacher for a couple of weeks and try getting it back!) that may actually lead to the education holy grail of authentic, mobile, learner-centered technology –  I think I wrote this in an Interface magazine ULearn conference special a couple of years ago . . . We are currently in the teething stages of a new concept in learning and teaching and we are trying to fit it into our current, known understandings and environments. It won't. As the evolution continues, we will start to see that, as a personal learning and lifestyle device, the iPad works when it remains the property and responsibility of the learner. That removes a modicum of management (control!) away from the teacher, perhaps, and will be resisted by some, especially in the secondary school environment. However, it does reflect much of what I see proudly displayed in school foyers about "inquiry", "independent" and "just-in-time" learning. Innovative (for that word, read "common sense") educators will realize the power and potential of the iPad (and like devices, lest you call me an Apple Fanboy) and will also see a rather different looking learning and teaching environment and approach in the near future. Certainly one which will demand changes in infrastructure, financing, acquisition, access . . . But those educators will also understand one constant – the real important learning stuff takes place between the screen and the chair (or beanbag, or floor, or playground, or bus or . . .)
    Cheers

9. wesley.gima@guamcc.edu' W Gima says:

We're also concerned about this situation and, although we haven't implemented anything yet, the following seems like the best option for us since Apple has not come out with a solution for those outside of the fifty U.S. states.

We plan to create an Apple ID for each of our devices. None will have a credit card attached as the Business office would not have any control if users had access to the password. Apple provides a way to do this.

Each department will still go through the normal requisition/PO channel. Once it's approved, it goes to the Business office who will use its own Apple ID to purchase everything. The iOS app store has a gifting option which allows the Business office to e-mail the purchased code for the specific app requested to the user. Upon receipt of this code, the user can then download it themselves.

One of the reasons why we're looking at doing it this way is that it allows users to still download free apps. The Business office's first inclination was to control everything so that anytime a user wanted to download a free app, song, book, etc., they'd have to go to the Business office as they would not have the password. This would certainly slow down the learning process.

Another thing that's related to this issue is that we need to make sure that each device has some sort of Apple I.D. as that is what's used for the Find My iPhone (iPad, iPod Touch, Macs with 10.7) app.

This works for the iOS store but not the Mac Apps store as it has no gifting options. Another dilemma!